Place Your Advert Here

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Okorocha in a dangerous romance with APC –Okonkwo

A leader of thought in Imo State and member of erstwhile Igbo Council of Chiefs, Chief Solomon Okonkwo is worried over how some politicians are messing up the name of their late leader, Ikemba Odumegwu Ojukwu. Chief Okonkwo, national chairman of Igbo Forum, a pan-Igbo socio-cultural organisation, who has played a lot of roles in Lagos politics, also expressed his fears over Governor Rochas Okorocha’s romance with the All Progressives Congress (APC), even as he spoke on other issues concerning the Igbo nation in this interview with our source 
Alliances between Ndigbo and Yoruba in the past have always had problems. How do you see Imo State governor, Rochas Okorocha’s team up in the emerging All Progressives Congress (APC) championed by ACN, a Yoruba party? 
To me, it is a most dangerous game that Okorocha is playing. This may destroy his political career in Igboland. I will narrate my own story to caution Okorocha. I devoted over 20 years to the cause of Yoruba-East politics. From SDP to AD to AC and to ACN, I have been the Igbo leader in Lagos State. I devoted my life to woo Ndigbo during elections. During Marwa’s time, the Ijaw wanted to attack Ilaje in Lagos. Then the governor, through the SSG sent for me. Within six hours I was able to convince the Ijaw leader, we went together and he appealed to his people and they stopped the onslaught. With that, I was given a certificate as the Igbo Leader in Lagos. Even in Alimosho area where I live, they gave me recognition due to what I did to ensure that Tinubu became governor. Apart from being Igbo leader, I became Leader of Non-Indigenes. But they started discrimination.

How do you mean, discrimination?
Well, the Fashola government demolished my house after I had also played key roles in his election and re-election. Even with the pleas of Rauf Aregbesola, they refused to compensate me for the demolished house. The house was not on a canal. I had my certificate of occupancy. And they refused to tell me why it was demolished and up till today, I have not been compensated. That is a government I played key role in its election, spending my money and other resources.
Rochas (Okorocha) should know that until our Yoruba brothers change their attitude towards Ndigbo, there is nothing between us that will yield us dividends. I have made attempts to see Fashola who I worked for his election, for six years, his government rendered me almost useless and failed to tell me why my house, which I have the C-of-O was demolished. This is because I am Igbo. Rochas should be very careful because there are many other Igbo who have suffered grievously in the hands of our Yoruba brothers. Many Igbo okada riders, petty traders, have rushed out of Lagos because of the hatred of the current administration. I do not see how Rochas can convince Ndigbo to go with him to APC. Businesses and houses of Ndigbo have been destroyed in Lagos. Why is Tinubu and Fashola doing this to Ndigbo and Rochas wants to drag Ndigbo to APC?

0 comments:

Post a Comment